Hoover has been the floor-cleaning game since the beginning of time so it’s pretty safe to say that their carpet cleaners belong in a league of their own. Let’s take some time to look at two of their best upright carpet cleaners, the PowerDash and the Power Scrub Deluxe. Though both of them are favorites among Hoover’s loyal fan base, which of them is the objectively better model? Let’s find out!

Hoover PowerDash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner FH50700

Hoover FH50700


Hoover Powerdash

7-amp Motor

The Powerdash is a powerhouse of a carpet cleaner that sports a beefy seven-amp motor for enhanced suction scrubbing action. All of its suction is directed by the single nozzle inlet due to a lack of suction hose and cleaning attachments. Essentially, with high-pressure suction working in tandem with the beater brush, the Powerdash is more than capable of deep-cleaning high-pile carpeting. Those with wall-to-wall carpeting will definitely find this a handy carpet cleaner.

Hoover FH50700

Hoover FH50700

0.5-gallon Tanks

But what’s not so handy is the tiny 0.5-gallon dual-system tank. With a maximum capacity of half a gallon, it may require multiple refills before completing an entire room. The smaller tank system serves to keep the overall weight of the unit (only 12.5 pounds dry-weight) by sacrificing convenience.

Filtration

The purpose of the filter is to prevent dust, hair, and other pollutants from getting into the motor and doing irreparable damage. However, Powerdash’s filter isn’t anything too extraordinary. It traps most large particles, and anything that passes simply falls into the dirty water tank. As soon as you notice a drop in suction pressure, it’s time to rinse and wring the filter dry.

Antimicrobial Brushroll

But what is extraordinary is the antimicrobial brushroll fitted into the vacuum head. The brushroll, dubbed the PowerSpin, is made of rubber instead of plastic composite to dig deep into carpet fibers and extract hidden debris. The material itself is designed to destroy bacteria so all microorganisms sucked into the machine is has no hope of making it out alive.

HeartForce Power

One thing that makes Hoover carpet cleaners such as the Powerdash and Power Scrub Deluxe so great is that they come with a built-in carpet heater. Even though their powerful motors are able to remove more than 80% of moisture, the remaining 20% can become a breeding ground for bacteria unless dried thoroughly. With HeatForce Power, it takes considerably less time for the moist area to dry compared to non-heating models.

Hoover PowerDash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner FH50700 Review

Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe

10-amp Motor

The seven-amp Powerdash don’t got nothing on the 10-amp motor packed inside of the Power Scrub Deluxe. When compared side-by-side, there’s a noticeable difference in suction power and drying times, even without HeatForce Power activated. However, ten amps might actually be overkill since the Powerdash can already clean shaggy rugs and carpets.

Hoover FH50150

Hoover FH50150

Cleaning Tools and Accessory Bag

One of the most significant differences between the two is that the Power Scrub Deluxe comes with an eight-foot suction hose and an upholstery tool for spot-cleaning, as well as an accessory bag where the tool and replacement filters (sold separately) can be placed comfortably. The addition of an upholstery tool means being able to clean above-ground surfaces, even carpeted stairs, without having to lift the entire unit.

Auto-Detergent Mixing

Another way the Power Scrub Deluxe differs from the Powerdash is how your carpet cleaning detergent of choice has its own separate tank. The machine will then draw water and tiny quantities of the soap from the tanks at the correct ratio for optimal cleaning. While we’re talking about the tank, we might as well mention that the Power Scrub Deluxe’s clean and water tanks add up to one whole gallon (100% larger than the Powerdash’s).

Non-Removable Nozzle

The Power Scrub Deluxe’s Dual V Nozzle is non-detachable so you’ll have to fish your fingers in there to get at the brushroll to remove hair and debris. This isn’t the worst thing ever, but it does make maintenance a bit troublesome. As for the Powerdash, the removable nozzle lets you pull the brushroll out for a quick rinse and wring.

Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner FH50150 Review

Hoover Powerdash vs. Power Scrub Deluxe: Which Should I Get?

After taking a look at what The Hoover Powerdash and Power Scrub Deluxe has to offer, it’s pretty clear who the winner is here. The Power Scrub Deluxe’s larger motor, spot-cleaning hose and attachment, as well as auto-detergent mixing will ease the struggle of demanding carpet-cleaning jobs. Don’t get us wrong—the Powerdash is an excellent upright carpet cleaner, but refilling the tiny tank so frequently can get annoying in a hurry.

Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner FH50150

Hoover FH50150