Continuing with the theme of the indoor fitness craze and the growing popularity of indoor cycling, a form of exercise that enables people to train in the cozy environment of their home.
Indoor cycling has become very technical with the development of exercise bikes that can be linked to online exercise and fitness programs, enabling users to communicate with online trainers or participate in group training sessions in other parts of the country or even the world.
We have looked at one of the Nordic Track models, the s15i, here, we will take a look at another of their models, S22i studio cycle.
NordicTrack Commercial S22i Features
The S22i is the next model up from S15i and the one just below the S27i. It has several features, which I have marked below with a double asterisk, that the S15i doesn’t have:
- Heavier than the S15i, weighs 205 lbs;
- Measures 61” H x 22” W” 58 L;
- Has 22” high definition touchscreen, (The number after the S in these models is the touchscreen size)
- Touchscreen has processor cooling;
- Has USB charging and HDMI ports;
- Bluetooth headphone capability, enabling the user to hear their remote trainer very clearly;
- Same membership offer as the S15i, initial 30-day iFit membership, but users will need to sign up for a paid monthly subscription for continued membership;
- Can be linked to the iFit training sessions;
- Has the same automatic incline (uphill) and decline (downhill) resistance as Nordic Tracks’ other models;
- Has the same “magnetic resistance”, an electromagnet is raised or lowered to slow or speed up the flywheel as it is being pedaled but,
- This model has 24 electro-magnetic resistance levels, two more than the S15i;
- Smooth, quiet pedalling;
- The pedals on this model have STD cleats that enable users to clip their riding shoes onto the pedal;
- Easy to adjust the seat and handlebars;
- Dual bottle holders;
- 30-watt dual speakers for trainer instruction and group sessions, on this model, the speakers are on the front of the screen, either side of the fan;
- This model also has a fan under the screen to keep the user cool as they get warm during a hard workout, but it is between the speakers and is smaller than the one on the S15i;
- Has Bluetooth capability, enabling the user to hear their remote trainer very clearly;
- Ergonomic saddle;
- Comes with 2 3lb dumbbells, same as the S15i;
- This model features a tray between the dumbbell holders that a mobile phone can rest on;
- Same two small transport wheels on the front stabilizer for moving the bike around when tipped up from the rear;
- Good warranty deal, 10 years on the frame, 2-year parts, and one-year labor. A bike should be registered within 28 days to extend the warranty. For payment, the warranty can be further extended.
Who should buy it
This is a slightly more advanced bike than the S15i, but still good for people who want to do bicycle exercise at home, become part of an online training regime guided by a trainer, or train in liaison with other cyclists in a group session;
Heavier than the S15i, not much though, so still suitable for people living in smaller apartments or houses, or with only a small spare room or gym;
Again, quiet operation is good for people who do not want to disturb neighbors or house partners.
What do people say on Social Media?
Amazon – most reviews are positive, from a mix of U.K. and U.S. customers. Comments include: “80 with a repaired hip and enjoy!” Bill H, 31st May 2022; “Seriously impressive bit of kit with great fitness benefits”, William W Easton, U.K, 17th September 2021; “Really happy with this bike so far, few minor complaints” Jayem, U.S, 2nd September 2019.
Negative reviews include: “Fantastic device with fun workouts, but the software experience is awful, Mike Christensen, U.S, 31st January 2021. He reports that it can be very difficult to navigate the software, the calendar feature doesn’t work, and, in his opinion, the iFIT website is broken, couldn’t find things that he wanted.
YouTube – Good, detailed reviews by “TailHappyTV”, describes all of the features in-depth; “TreadmillReviewGuru” also gives an in-depth assessment, and both channels are positive about the bike.
NordicTrack Commercial S22i Conclusion
The main differences between this and the S15i are the larger screen size and the technical enhancements, front double speakers, Bluetooth capability, USB charging points, etc.
The bike is expensive, but has a number of features that the S15i doesn’t have;
The majority of reviews are positive, apart from the one U.S. customer who had problems with the software.
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership Included; on-demand workouts on your equipment with...
- UPGRADED 22” Rotating HD Touchscreen Display streams on-demand iFIT workouts;...
Last update on 2023-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you have any comments, please add them below. Similarly, please let us know if you spot any errors.